Top 10 Ingredients In Pedigree DENTAStix

5 Feb
  1. Rice flour (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler, causes bowel distress and can lead to diabetes in dogs.
  2. Wheat starch (Minus 1 point): Poor carbohydrate source causes allergies.
  3. Glycerin (Minus 1 point): Sweetens food, used as humectant (keeps food moist), interferes with nutrient assimilation.
  4. Calcium carbonate (Plus 1 point): Standard source of calcium, promotes strong bones, teeth, cardiovascular health and skeletal strength, used as a buffer to acidic foods.
  5. Gelatin (Minus 1 point): Filler / binder in can food.
  6. Gum arabic (Minus 1 point): Cheap filler/binder used in can foods.
  7. Cellulose Powder (Minus 1 point):Suspected to include recycled cardboard.
  8. Natural poultry flavor (Minus 1 point): Poor quality of flavor additive.
  9. Sodium tripolyphosphate (Minus 1 point): Used as rancid meat preservative.
  10. Salt(Minus 1 point): Used to cover up rancid meat and fat, can cause kidney and heart disease, hypertension — used to encourage cats to drink, source of sodium chloride.

Adorable and catchy advertising, but a terrible product!

15 Responses to “Top 10 Ingredients In Pedigree DENTAStix”

1. Erica "FitMusician" February 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

Thanks for sharing this info, Lindsay. Nutrition is as important for our canine buddies as it is for ourself. It frustrates me that nutrition labels are as misleading for both people food and dog food.

2. Kenoy Kadakia February 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Thanks, very helpful. Which chew product do you recommend?

3. Maryse May 3, 2012 at 9:34 am #

MN – Thank you for the info and the warning, I shall be sure to avoid this so called treat for my dogs!

4. Helen Wilson August 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

My puppy who is just over 5 months had one of these yesterday, the frist one, and has had terribly messy poos today. I wont be giving them to her again.

5. D. Johnston September 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Well they also don’t list BHA or BHT on the package but oddly enough it’s listed on Pedigree’s website. So much for honesty!

6. Belhaven January 12, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

Is that a list of the American ingredients? The Australian packaging, which says it’s made in the EU, reads much better;

Cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, minerals (sodium tripolyphosphate min 2.6%, zinc sulphate min 0.11%), meat and animal derivatives. Contains EC permitted preservatives and colourants.

Not great but, in my opinion, fine for a small treat for a big dog like my German Shepherd. He’s on $100 per 15kg kibble and gets bones and fresh meat. But these do seem to rub off plaque.

• thehydrant January 16, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

umm. that sounds even more shady!
      ‘cereals’? lol
      ‘derivatives of vegetable origin’? That sounds like code for YELLOW CORN. :(

• Belhaven January 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm #

True, it is a bit smoke and mirrors, but at least it lists meat rather than “poultry flavor”.

7. Louise Thompson April 24, 2013 at 8:57 am #

So what do you suggest as a home made or bought alternative?

• Eileen June 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I ask the same thing…What do you suggest as a home made alternative?

8. Ellen Faria November 3, 2013 at 9:52 am #

The biggest problem with Dentastix is that Pedigree refuses to answer whether the some or all of the ingredients are from China. As I have asked them several times on their Facebook page and they haven’t answered me, but have answered questions asked before and after mine, I’m going to assume the treats have ingredients sourced in China.

Considering China’s track record with pet food and treats, including the current jerky treat problems, I cannot, in good conscience, feed them to my dogs. Too bad, because they do a great job of cleaning my dogs teeth.

9. Roseann Vicars May 21, 2014 at 3:57 pm #

Is there any dog foods or treats that we can buy for them safely?

10. Wendy June 15, 2014 at 1:56 am #

I gave my dog a dentastix on 2 occasions. The 2nd time I realized his odd behavior – like trying to eat the rug and very hyper was the result of eating. the dentastix. The ingredients do look awful. I will throw the rest of the bag away.

11. Ron Flinders July 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm #

Igave my 68 lb Aussie Dentastix and he has thrown up on and off for two days. He just had his regular physical and passed with flying colors so as far as I am concerned, the problem is the Dentastix. Now he is not his usual perkie self. Just wants to lay.

12. Frank July 10, 2014 at 12:02 pm #

We have been giving our 2 labs Dentistix for about 6-9 months. We chose Dentistix because the bag says “Made in Canada” (We are in the U.S.) Of course, there is no way to know the origin of the ingredients and I am now wondering about China. Last night, 9 July 2014, my perfectly healthy 5 year old lab had a terrible, prolonged seizure (stiff legs, shaking, confusion, frothing at the mouth, eyes rolled back). I thought she was going to die right there on the floor. Fortunately, she made it to emergency vet care and appears to be recovering. I cannot connect this event to Dentistix but they are definitely going in the trash.

Regarding whether Dentistix have ingredients from China, I don’t know. However, I do know that Canada has protocols through which Chinese pork and poultry can be imported into Canada – both for human and animal consumption. Once processed in Canada, product can be labeled as Canadian. Take a look for yourself: