Dog Chin Acne. Yep, they get it, too.

3 May

I’ve noticed a few of my dog clients are suffering the joys of spring. With that, comes the lovely chin acne!
But don’t fret. You’re not alone, in fact, Logan gets it every time at this year, and it usually sticks around for the warmer months.

What is Canine Acne?
Canine acne is a benign self-limiting disease of the chin and lips of young dogs. Short-coated dogs, such as boxers, bulldogs and rottweilers, are at increased risk for acne. The condition starts at puberty around 5 to 8 months of age. Most dogs improve with age and the condition typically resolves after one year of age. But commonly enough, it’s something that continues through during the lifespan on the dog.

Acne on a Bulldog. It is clearly visible on the middle of the chin and on his left flew.

Logan: Red bumps (papules) are usually noted on the chin and lips.

In simple terms: It is clogged pores from oil and bacteria which causes pimples – just like people get.

The exact pathogenesis has not been established. Genetics, hormones and trauma have been hypothesized to play a role.

• Red bumps (papules) and blackheads (comedones)  are usually noted on the chin and lips of young dogs. They may become infected and pus can be expressed from these lesions.
  • When infection is present itching may develop and the dog may start rubbing his face against carpet and furniture.

Treatment Tips

Warm compressing the chin with a warm washcloth will help open pores. Try to express any pustules that you can. Then scrub the chin with a gentle cleanser like Phisoderm.
Then warm compress again. Try to do this twice a day for the first few days, then once a day thereafter until it is healed.
I inspect and squeeze Logan’s on a very regular basis. He is very accustomed  to it now. Make make sure  you follow up with a good cleaning of the area; mixture of peroxide and water, Listerine, apple cider vinegar and water, etc.
Last night I used an anti bacterial facial wash on Logan’s chin.

If the chin isn’t improving, you may have to go ahead and get antibiotics from your vet.
Some of those pustules can be deep and get infected, which is irritating and painful, and systemic antibiotics are sometimes required to take care of the issue from the inside-out.

To prevent future break-outs, make sure you are using stainless steel, ceramic, or glass bowls – NOT plastic. Plastic is too porous and holds bacteria which your dogs chin rubs against during eating, depositing food oil, residue and bacteria onto the chin. Even with the other bowls, make sure you are washing them with mild soap and water every day. Scrub the chin with a warm washcloth periodically (every few days) to remove any oil/debris that may be lingering there.

Clean your dogs’ face after every meal with warm, slightly soapy water or diluted apple cider vinegar.
Note: This document is provided for information purposes only.  Under no circumstances should this information replace the advice of your verterinarian.

24 Responses to “Dog Chin Acne. Yep, they get it, too.”

1. Jodie Neveau July 11, 2012 at 2:00 am #

Thank you so much ! I was very worried about my Jack, money is tight right now and we cant afford much at the vets’s office for meds. His poor chin is pretty swollen right now, thanks so much for the advice!

• Lindsay July 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

What kind of dog is Jack!?

2. heather July 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

hmm I really am hoping this is what our puppy has…from my research it looks like it…they’ve not gone away though and was trying to put aloe on them…he started to not feel well for a few days and back on the mend (we think) now…but these bumps bother me..these can get nasty though..poor doggies

• Lindsay July 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

It can get pretty yucky looking :( If you can, pop the ones that are ready — they’re usually ingrown hairs. You really want to dry them out, so aloe won’t help much. I can be seasonal, but there are also variables such as the type of dish your pup is eating out of, and diet. Allergies can bring a flare up! So many things to check for. What kind of pup do you have? bulldog, frenchie or boston?!

• giggalz July 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

we just switched his plastic puppy bowls to big boy metal bowls…he’s almost 4 months..august 1st…he’s a yellow lab

i read somewhere not to squeeze them which is why i never messed with them…he got excited to go outside not to long ago and hit them and got bloody…so i’m not sure i wanna mess with them tonight lol..

• Lindsay July 29, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

I would def see if they’re squeezable. If there’s a hair in there, it always pops out, and the spot will dry up within hours and poof! it’s gone! :)
        Wait until he’s really tired, and laying out int he sun. Then you can just rest his head on your lap, and you can have a good look …

You can also use acne products (ie oxy pads) to dry them out. Just keep in mind this doesn’t work with dogs who are lickers as they just lick it off in 2 seconds!
        If it gets really bad, I do know antibiotics can be given to clear it up quickly. I’d only go that route if I tried treatment and home, and nothing improved. :)

• giggalz July 29, 2012 at 8:44 pm #

i will have to try and see later tonight..yeah with the aloe i’m not even sure how much really soaked in cause he would try to lick it off

3. Cao Black September 27, 2012 at 10:48 pm #

Tried the antibiotic cream (aside from thorough cleaning of stainless bowls between feedings), but what I found worked best for my Doberman’s chin acne was using pyrex glass inserts. As someone above posted, you might try plastic inserts, or just go with some type of ceramic bowl. I noticed a remarkable improvement.

4. Dawn October 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

I have wonered if this could be my boston, Macy’s problem. It was just one or two bumps & is now many on the center of her chin/lower lip. I will get busy & scrubby-scrubby her face daily.
    Thanks!! =o)

5. Courtney December 3, 2012 at 2:09 am #

I noticed my dog has something like this a few weeks ago , is this what your dogs chin looked like ?…

• thehydrant December 3, 2012 at 8:37 am #

Hello Courtney! That is definitely a couple of small dog pimples! :) You can clean them with a warm washcloth and pop ‘em and they’ll quickly disappear.

6. Website Here April 20, 2013 at 4:36 am #

Superb, what a webpage it is! This blog gives
    useful facts to us, keep it up.

7. Click Resources May 8, 2013 at 11:42 am #

Hi, I believe your website could possibly be having browser compatibility problems.
    When I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping issues.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, wonderful blog!

• Will Athanas July 13, 2013 at 3:09 am #

Internet explorer is a terrible web browser and will always cause you trouble, I suggest you drag it into your trash bin and use either safari or google chrome! :-)

8. Helpful Resources May 10, 2013 at 11:13 pm #

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting
    anywhere, when i read this paragraph i thought i
    could also make comment due to this brilliant paragraph.

9. leanne May 16, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Thanks so much for the info , My rotti has got pimples just as everyone has said and i have been popping the big ones and now i know its ok to do i will continue …i also use an antiseptic cream from pets at home which helps dry them out …once again thanks i was a little worried .

10. hot tub repairs July 9, 2013 at 3:48 am #

Cookie Dieting Quotes is a logical response to weight gain, and insulin resistance.
    A 2000 calorie per day diet of chocolate cake
    is going to be okay. When you eat fewer calories, but
    expecting to cut more over time. However it is so easy to make!
    If you have a university reunion dinner and you want to
    engage me on these topics, please email me instead.

11. Will Athanas July 13, 2013 at 3:08 am #

I have an Irish setter (2yr) and she has something I am hoping is this. Hers are crusty and seem to crumble away… along with her hair when I rub them. They are not round or curved like some of the pictures above and they only occur on her chin. Slight bleeding occurs when they are rubbed and she doesn’t seem to like it much when I rub them. Are there any other conditions that are more serious that she may have? And are there any long time risks with dog pimples?

-Thankyou so much this website is great!

Will Athanas 16

12. Jennifer, Indpdnt Scentsy Director July 25, 2013 at 10:32 pm #

My 1yr pit bull, Chloe has exactly what you describe! Gonna try your at-home remedies… THANK YOU!

• Kegan Herrera July 30, 2013 at 11:20 am #

same here with my pitbull she just turned 1 and on her chin the very bottom they are like red bumps everybody told me they were allergies but I am going to try these remedies as well keep posted if it works for Chloe

13. Kegan Herrera July 30, 2013 at 11:18 am #

My dog has had bumps on her chin for awhile… everything on the internet is saying it is most likely allergies but this information has helped a lot thank you and I will try your suggestions hopefully they will get rid of them!

14. lynzee August 13, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

wow thank you so much this helped out so much i was really worried about it i too was popping the (pimples) and a white puss would come out thank god its okay to pop them… i didnt know plastic bowls were not so good to use so i will be getting different bowls asap lol!!!! i will definitely take your advice i hope it works thank you so much very helpful this eased my worries thanks again :)

• thehydrant August 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm #

So happy this helped you out! You’re not alone with this, and while it’s usually not a big problem, it’s easy to control once you’ve figure out what is it :) LEt me know if the plastic bowl switch, and keeping the chin clean (using baby wipes works) and even wiping with something that will dry it out will really help. :)

15. christine deadman August 14, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

I wish i had read these comments before I took m bulldog to the vet and spent over £250 on getting a diagnosis for her large spots on her chin, I wasn’t aware that bulldogs suffer from acne from time to time, so I think I will be changing my vet as well.