A bull mastiff named Bean is recovering from surgery last month after wolfing down a hunk of brie, and a three-inch cheese knife.
Sean Burte said he put the brie and knife on a coffee table in his home in Roslindale, Mass., and walked away briefly. That’s when Bean, a 118-pound female, seized the opportunity, jumped on the table and swallowed both. Burte rushed his dog to Angell Animal Medical Center, where veterinarians confirmed the dog had the knife in her stomach, CBS in Boston reported.
Bean swallowed the knife handle-first, so she suffered no cuts to her throat or stomach.
“Bean is a very lucky dog because her size, and the position the knife was in when she swallowed it, minimized further damage to her throat and stomach,” said Dr. Mike Pavletic, head of Angell’s surgery department. “She did very well throughout the surgery and we’re glad to see her recuperating at home.”