Homemade dog treats are quite easy to make, and your dog will probably like biscuits you make at home better. Mine does. Actually, that’s a lie. Logan will eat pretty much anything! (..dirt, sofa stuffing, rocks, etc)
Try out this easy peanut butter dog biscuit recipe yourself & let your dog do a treat taste test. I happened to have a collection of cookie cutters, but any shape will do. Don’t have cookie cutters? Be creative, and look around your house — I’ve improvised, and used the bottom of a shot glass, and even the end of a pen lid. They all have round ends, and are easy to use.
The smaller the treat, the quicker they’ll bake, so keep that in mind when adjusting your bake time. I prefer small ones, as they make the perfect training treat, small & easy to grab out of my pockets.
Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits – Homemade Dog Treats
2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. natural peanut butter
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. baking soda
- Mix baking soda and salt into the flour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix with dough hook on med speed. *can also be mixed with a wooden spoon.
- When dough can be formed into a ball remove.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface (about a 1/4″ thick).
- Cut out dog biscuits with cookie cutters or simply cut dough into treat sized squares, with pastry wheel or pizza cutter.
- Place the treats directly on baking sheet.
- Prick each dog biscuit with a fork.
- Bake at 300 degrees, for 45 minutes to an hour. 45 minutes will result in a softer “crunch” (good for older dogs).
- Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Store your homemade dog treats in airtight container or ziploc bag.
Homemade dog treats are a perfect gift for any canine lover. Make a batch for a friend when they adopt a new pooch, or drop some off for their dog’s birthday. They will surely appreciate such a thoughtful gift.